Saturday, May 18, 2013

Star Trek: Into Darkness

Last night I went to see the new Star Trek film, Into Darkness. It was great fun. Were there some plot holes and ridiculous bits? Of course. I, however, have always been very good at suspending my disbelief and just enjoying the ride in a film. This was no exception. I laughed a lot, enjoyed a large amount of tension, and gasped at the action sequences. The interactions between these beloved characters are great. Benedict Cumberbatch made a great, scary villain. It was an uplifting film, that really got the spirit of "space for science and exploration" correct.

If I would have one large criticism with the two new Star Trek entries, it would be that they make space appear too small. Sure, they have the benefit of warp drives, but being able to get to the Klingon home world in just a minute or so, and then being able to see the planet with the human eye from the edge of their neutral space, makes space seem less magnificent than it is. I don't know how they would fix this in a film with time constraints, but if space could seem as awesome, terrifying, and huge as it actually is, I think it would impart greater stakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment