Thursday, May 29, 2014

Manila, the Food

I think an important thing to say here is that I was not in Manila for very long. We arrived back to Manila from Palawan Island on a Monday afternoon and left very early on Wednesday morning. I'll also mention the fact that I spent Sunday evening and all day Monday essentially dying, poisoned by something I had eaten on the island, shaking with cold sweat and bringing my blanket in with me to lie on the bathroom floor. So Monday I didn't really eat anything, which only left me with Tuesday to enjoy what Manila had to offer.

We had breakfast in our hotel, standard Western fare, and then headed out into the city for a day of sightseeing. I begged Amanda to return with me to where we had had dinner the night before (I had only been able to manage to sip a Sprite), because the food had looked so good. It certainly was! The restaurant also conveniently overlooked the sea, blocking out the image of the rest of the city. We could enjoy the sunsets and my mountains of food. It was a good welcome back to the land of the living, and a great last meal for my winter vacation.

Sushi platter: there was also sweet, succulent bits of mango in the sushi, and the combination of the sweet fruit with the salty fish and spicy wasabi was to die for.
a spicy, anchovy-heavy Caesar salad with shrimp and calamari, the size of my head
sunset and lantern
sunset again

No comments:

Post a Comment