Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Playing It Cool

It seems like everyone I know is going on dates, so the conversations I've been having of late have widely been of the "What the hell does this mean?" and "Is it too soon to reply?" and "God, how damn hard is it to orchestrate a simple kiss in this country where old ladies hiss at you for PDA?" I feel like I'm back in high school again, with all the positives and negatives that come along with that. Basically, it boils down to what I've come to refer to as "fear of crazy."

I hate that you're not allowed to be excited about people. You meet someone cool, but society dictates that you have to pretend to be almost bored about them, otherwise you seem like a stalker. What bull. For all you know, the other person is equally excited and equally frustrated by this nonsense game.

Seriously, when did people become such commitment-phobes that "Hey, wanna meet up again?" now apparently means "Hey, wanna get married and have dozens of babies together?" Just get together and make out! Why does it have to be so hard?

Other than the old ladies, of course. They are pretty scary.

(I put 10:1 odds on my dad commenting "NO MAKING OUT!")

2 comments:

  1. So, how do Hungarian nénis compare to Korean ajummas? On a 1-10 score of scariness, for example?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'd say the nenis are more physically aggressive (I once had one hit me with her wheeled shopping bag) whereas the ajummas rely more on scaring youth and generally not giving a f***. It's a lot more constant from the ajummas, though, probably because I can't pass for native here like I sort of could in Hungary. :)

    ReplyDelete