Friday, October 4, 2013

The Giraffe

After a full day of sightseeing, I popped into the Osaka Zoo on the way back to my hostel. It was only an hour from closing, but the entrance fee was only 500 yen. It was a nice enough zoo by non-American standards. Not a torture zoo, but the cages were a bit small and some animals were all alone. Zoos always make me a little bit sad for the animals. I know that they do great work for saving animals and educating the public, but it is still hard to see some animals caged up far from their natural habitat or climate.

I made it to the giraffe enclosure right as they were ambling into their night-time area. Seeing I was too late, I made a disappointed noise. One of the giraffes spun around, loped over to me, dropped its head, and stared me straight in the eye for a second. I swear to God. I know it was a giraffe, but I could feel it looking at me and regarding me. I burst into tears because I was so overwhelmed by that brief feeling of pure connection. It turned around and went inside. I stood there, thankful no other zoo visitors were in my little corner.

I think that maybe I'm starting to get old. Sometimes the world makes me so sad. How long before there is no more nature, and will the zoo giraffes know?

I know this is a weird entry. I apologise. I did have a fantastic day of sightseeing, which I will blog about in detail with pictures. Now for a quick rest before heading to the sky building...

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post LL. I could see it all happening. Love you! Dad

    ReplyDelete