Monday, October 28, 2013

Sea Squirt

I have been hearing of a creature called a "sea squirt" that was showing up in my waygook friends' lunches. This creature was reviled as disgusting, awful, and even inedible. I scoffed. How could a sea creature be THAT bad? Particularly in a soup, as it was apparently usually served?

Today, I was happily eating my squid soup (while letting my thoughts drift to adorable smiles brought about by the mention of Miguel de Unamuno... not fair) when my mouth was suddenly drenched in a sour, acidic, soapy taste. It was so sudden and repulsive that my entire upper half convulsed, if only slightly. I was sitting at table with my principal, after all. My teeth were gripping a small piece of something rubbery and hard. As surreptitiously as I could, I took that thing out of my mouth. I immediately filled my mouth with kimchi and a pepper. Anything to get rid of that taste.


This is what was waiting on my tray. Except they were even more horrible looking: somewhat gray and more knotted.

I had fallen victim to the sea squirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment