Friday, July 11, 2014

Stuff that Happens in Korea: Tae Bae Bo

During my time here in Korea, I've been called racist a lot. This was a little bit shocking to me, because I really don't consider myself to be racist at all. I am not, however, a cultural relativist. I don't think, for example, sexual harassment is okay just because it happens to be more prevalent in some countries/cultures than others. There are a bunch of big, heavy things that I have resisted writing about because I just don't want to be called racist any more for making remarks like, "Huh. That is strange. Many countries have codes that make sure fire extinguishers are replaced at least every decade." Beyond that, though, there are a bunch of tiny, strange things that happen here that I've also resisted writing about because of my perceived disrespect for Korean "culture."

I'm leaving, though, so screw it. I want to remember some of these things. So I'm going to start a series entitled "Stuff that Happens in Korea." I hope to be objective and just describe them. If I'm not, I apologize. Some of the things I hope to write about are good! Some are neutral, and some are *in my mind* weird or unpleasant.

*Phew.*

So. Koreans are obsessed with the game Rock Paper Scissors. They call it Tae Bae Bo. It's really incredible how quickly they can play it in multiple directions. There's a whole song about it, and I hear it probably the entire time I'm at school.

Kids use it to decide who plays first. Adults use it to decide who pays for dinner. Waiters regularly use it to choose which one has to deal with the foreigner: I've walked into shops and restaurants and had to endure a whole minute-long tournament before someone would respond to my greeting. I've even witnessed my coteacher settle an argument between two students by having them play it: whoever won was right, and was owed an apology.

Yeah, it's a bit whack-a-doo at times, but it is efficient and fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment