Saturday, March 23, 2013

Exotic Animals

These are Dexter and Smokey, my two pet rat brothers. They are a fuzzy ray of sunshine in my life. Dexter currently has an upper respiratory infection, causing him to make little grunting noises, so I wound up having to take both of them to the vet for an antibiotic injection and a prescription. They were very good boys and did not fight the vet at all, except a little bit of wiggling to try to escape from the cold stethoscope. Even when they got their shot, which was pretty traumatizing for me because rats have such thick skin you could hear the needle pop through, they only offered up the briefest of sad little squeaks.

Now I have a tiny syringe of antibiotics in my fridge to administer to them over the next five days, which they are less than psyched about.

I just hope that Dexter gets better, and that the antibiotics help prevent Smokey from developing the infection himself. I don't want them to be ill or stressed out. It's such a responsibility, being a pet owner and having little lives depend on you. Especially when you live in a country where you don't speak the language natively and therefore struggle to achieve anything. It can certainly make you feel helpless.

No comments:

Post a Comment