Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Fireflies

When the snow falls and sticks to the ground, cars, and trees in Budapest, there is one place that I particularly love to go. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the muffled silence throughout the city. I love the cold wet flakes dropping onto my cheeks. I breathe in the air, and it smells clean and crisp, and I am happy.

One place is particularly special, though. It's a dirty busy street corner near a loud square full of buses and homeless folk. It's in front of a posh hotel full of loud tourists shouting at each other and snobby doormen. Why do I love it, then? Simple. The sidewalk outside this hotel is lined in bright colored LED lights. They slowly change from blue to red to green and back again.

The snow piles up, and the lights shine through it, glowing faint colors into the Budapest night. Sometimes you can barely tell the difference, and the lights are nothing more than a faint glimmer of color that you might almost be imagining. These are the best nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment