Thursday, September 26, 2013

Acceptance

One of the things I most love about Korea (and about any small nation, really) is the delight the people show when you show any interest in their culture or language. Their whole face lights up. They grab your hand. They say thank you an awkward number of times or for remarkably insignificant things.

I brought in the cakes. The principal said she loved me. Her English is limited, but I knew what she meant. The viceprincipal held my hand. My colleagues gasped and ooohed. The shy gym teacher finally spoke to me in English.

The head teacher asked me if we have this first paycheck tradition in the States. When I said no, she said I was like a Korean. From a Korean, that's pretty high praise.

It's not the gift that won them over (though everyone likes cake). It's that I followed this tradition. I really did feel more integrated today.

1 comment: