Monday, September 16, 2013

Chili paste and shame

Here in Korea, it is about to be Chuseok, which the Koreans translate as Thanksgiving but to my understanding is a blend of Thanksgiving and All Soul's Day. Anyway, one of the traditional foods at this time of year is Songpyeon. These are small rice cakes, traditionally filled with a paste of either sesame seeds or red beans mixed with honey.

Last week, the home-ec teacher brought some songpyeon into the staff room for us. She was extra excited for me to try them, as a foreigner. The sixth graders had made them, and she had taken one from each student to share with the teachers.

I popped one into my mouth. Instead of delightful honey-tinged sweetness, though, I tasted fire. I spat out as much as I could. The rice cake is sticky, though, and a lot stuck to my teeth. Tears ran down my face. I chugged water.

Some of the sixth grade boys had filled their songpyeon with chili paste. The sort of chili paste of which you put one spoonful into a pot of soup. The home-ec teacher was furious.

On Friday, there was punishment. Laps were run. Bows were made. Begging definitely happened. Somehow, I doubt those boys will be making chili-paste desserts again. Poor things. I almost felt bad for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment