Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Road Runner

I like to run. I'm not entirely sure if running likes me back, because I'm not very good at it. I'm not super fast, I get really red in the face, and I look rather dorky while I run. What I can do is run for a long time. I just trot along, and it makes me feel happy. Music blares into my ears, I breathe in the air around me, and I start to feel connected.

I particularly like to run outside. I think running indoors, or on a track, is a bit boring and lame. I like to run outside, on the sidewalk, where there are actually things to see and wonder at.

So this week I headed out for a run. I went the back way, around several research facilities in my area. The sidewalk was lovely: padded and sort of resembling a track. The cool breeze blew and the sun shone. And yet I came back unhappy.

Because I was GAWKED at. An old lady yelled at me. People pointed and laughed.

Now, I know I'm a foreigner and obviously so. I know that I have... curves that Koreans don't have, and that they move somewhat when I move. Still, though, this was stressful for me. I guess I will have to wait until it cools down quite a bit and I can run in a jacket again, or something. Or run at six am. Gross.

No comments:

Post a Comment