Thursday, September 12, 2013

Volleyball and Awkwardness

My first day at my new school, a Wednesday, there was a volleyball game. I was dressed to impress, without a change or sneakers, so I didn't partake.

The second Wednesday I came prepared, but there was no volleyball.

Yesterday I brought my stuff. There was no volleyball.

Today, in a surprise turn of events, there was volleyball. Of course, today, I had no stuff with me. So I sort of awkwardly batted the ball around during the warm up, then sat down for the actual game. Alone. Awkwardly.

Eventually one of the teachers nearby made eye-contact with me. I smiled, hugely. She looked terrified. I said hello. She forced out a few sentences. One of them was in French. So I ran with it, and spoke horrible French with her for twenty minutes. Now, I know you're thinking, "But Lauren! You don't speak French!" You're right. I don't. But I speak more French than Korean and understand a heck of a lot more. So I did it. It was less awkward than sitting alone and pathetic while the Koreans run about in their full volleyball gear to spontaneous (and perfectly simultaneous) cries of "fightING!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment