Monday, September 2, 2013

First Two Days of Lessons

I started teaching on Thursday, which means that I've already seen some of my classes twice with how my schedule works out.

The first lesson, I showed the kids a powerpoint about me. I tried to make it fun with silly pictures and whatnot. Then, they had to play bingo. I printed off bingo cards with a bunch of key words from my presentation. They had to ask questions to get me to say those key words. For example, one of the words was "twenty-seven" so they could ask "How old are you?" The winners got temporary tattoos. It was fun, the kids got to talk a bit, and get to know me.

The second lesson, I did an extended nametag activity with the kiddos. They had to write their name with Latin letters in the middle of a sheet of paper. Then they answered a question in each corner. I asked what they had for dinner, where they went on summer vacation, what they are afraid of, and where they want to visit. (But you could adjust however you want.) Once that was done, they asked the questions of their deskmate. Then the fun part kicked in, as they traded cards with their pairs and repeated the process with a new partner, this time masquerading as whoever was on their card. With the sixth graders we managed to trade a few times, and it was pretty silly and fun. Plus, they were talking, asking questions and answering them differently, the whole lesson. Except when they were writing. I liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment