Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Kyoto's Sanjusangendo Temple

When I went to Kyoto last month, I didn't really know what to expect. I was woefully unprepared, and I wound up not even making it to the Royal Palace, but I really don't care. Because, after a quick flip through the convenient little guide book given me by my hostel in Osaka, I decided to head to the Sanjusangendo Temple, with its one thousand golden Buddhas. There was a long, dark hall. You took off your shoes and went in, then turned the corner and felt the wind pull out of your lungs.


Literally as far as you could see, there were life-size golden Buddhas, stacked up in rows of one hundred, ten deep. Each was slightly different, as they were made individually. In front of the Buddhas were various other gods, also life-sized. They also had glass eyes in their faces, so they were rather creepy. Of course, there was an incredibly strict photo ban. Oddly enough, there are limited photos online as well. I will just have to remember them.


In the center was one large golden Buddha, surrounded by incense and prayer bells. It was rather staggering to reach the center Buddha after what felt like a lifetime of Buddhas, and realize that you had just as many Buddhas left to see. It was all rather overwhelming, and at one point I actually took a break to lean against the wall and close my eyes. It's crazy to think about the deep faith of the past.

So after I eventually wandered out blinking into the light, I checked out the gardens and such, which were also very lovely.

 washing station
Sooo... why the cups, then?
 pond
 selfie!
 prayer bell

No comments:

Post a Comment