Monday, November 18, 2013

Three Months

I left the States three months ago. It feels like I've been in Korea forever and ever, though. Since I got here, I've visited six other cities. I've attended two conferences. I traveled to Japan. I've lost six kilos. I've gotten quite drunk twice. I've made new friends. I've made kimchi. I've slept in hostels, beds, on the beach, and on the floor. I kissed three people, one of whom I plan to keep kissing. I've learnt how to order my food and make a modicum of small talk with the taxi driver. I've settled into my job and I feel like I'm making a difference in these kids' educations. I've built my own comfortable little world all over again.

Today it started to snow. When my sixth graders noticed, joy and delight spread across their faces. They ran to the windows and flung them open, catching the tiny flakes on their hands and giggling like the children they still actually are. I didn't have it in me to call them back to their seats. It made my heart ache.

I found out that one of my two coteachers is leaving and I'll be teaching with someone else. On Friday. My other coteacher is very pregnant and will be leaving soon to have her baby. My whole life is going to change.

2 comments:

  1. You have made a wonderful life for yourself over and over and Friday will be another page in the great adventure book you are putting together! Enjoy the ride! We are envious of and excited for you!

    Love and miss you, Dad xoxox

    ReplyDelete