Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Numbers

I had a whole day of deskwarming today (the kids were writing finals). So I wasted a lot of time on facebook, stole cardboard boxes from around the school, and ate many mandarins. I also graded the third grade tests (is there anything in the world more soothing than grading multiple-choice tests with a wax pencil?) and planned a bit more for camp. The most important thing I did today, though, was to write up my Christmas cards.

I'm sad that I won't be delivering them in person this year, but I think the fact that Christmas is such a non-event here will help me to forget about the sadness.

Writing the addresses and grading the tests, I realized that I've almost entirely stopped doing Hungarian-style numbers now. My ones are straight more often than they are hooked, and my nines don't look like gs anymore. I'm still struggling to adjust to the closed Korean four, but it's happening. That sort of makes me sad, too. Isn't it sort of funny, how even something as basic as how we write numbers can change in a new place?

No comments:

Post a Comment