Friday, December 6, 2013

Yay, a rant post!

(I can't embed at work, just click.)

This video just breaks my heart.

Is it any surprise that young people, and young girls in particular, are so obsessed with the way they look? Or that they think how they look doesn't measure up? In a world filled to the brim with images of perfection, how is real life supposed to compare? I'm not going to go into the whole photoshop rant. It's been done, and it can be found ad nauseum on the internet.

I would be absolutely terrified to raise daughters. I mean, the thought of raising children in general is a pretty scary one. But daughters, man. How do people go about that these days? It's all a terrifyingly fine line to walk. Girls can be anything they want to be... but you don't want to lie to them, either. How do you teach a girl that she should never walk home alone with earbuds in without terrifying her? How do you teach her to keep herself fit and healthy without making her feel ugly? How do you encourage her to study what she wants without pushing an agenda? And so on and so forth.

When I was a kid, I certainly thought other kids were ugly. But now, as an adult (and I think especially as an educator), I don't think there is a single kid on this earth that is ugly. Kids are beautiful! But goodness me, I can understand where they're coming from.

No comments:

Post a Comment