Friday, February 7, 2014

Seven Good Things, back from holiday

Saturday: On Saturday, we went to the aquarium. It was super crowded, but also awesome. I love aquariums. The silver fish were in this huge tank, and the two schools kept moving around in unison, even meeting each other, but they somehow managed to just thread together and not even slow down.

Sunday: We spent Saturday night in a hanok, a traditional-style Korean house. Waking up on Sunday morning, I felt totally relaxed, calm, and happy. I sleep really well on those Korean floor beds! The sun came in through the paper-covered window, and we could sit on the patio and eat our toast, protected from the drizzle by the big awning. It was a great start to the day. *Bonus second thing!* We went to the top floor of a Starbucks off Gwanghwamun Square and wound up having the whole rooftop to ourselves. It was chilly and had rained, but we found a dry spot and enjoyed some cake and lattes. Awesomesauce.

Monday: Well, Monday was pretty lame. I went back to work, but there was no class, and my computer was broken. So I spent the day staring at the air in front of me. Then I did some grocery shopping, laundry, and all that fun post-trip stuff. At least it was good to get unpacked and settle back into my apartment. I was glad to not have class, because it did give me some time to adjust back to being at work after my beautiful holiday away.

Tuesday: I went back to teaching. Thank goodness. The kids were a bit rowdy, but it was a fun day with them. In the evening I went to dinner for Amber's birthday, and saw Jenny again for the first time since we've both gotten back. We went for a drink after the main festivities were winding down, and caught up. I missed her.

Wednesday: I met up with my old roommate Anna's friend Rodrigo, who was in town. He gave me some turorudi and a stuffed rat that Anna had sent along for me. We wound up having a lovely chat. It was so nice to be able to talk about Budapest, and places and things and people that I know, without visibly annoying those around me.

Thursday: Acupuncture. Chicken. Beer. The ladies. All good things.

Friday: Today, my one class was just absolutely ridiculously dead. I couldn't even get them to nod or shake their head in response. One of them said "Blah blah blah 애교 blah blah" so I ran with that. (Aegyo is the Korean word for "cute," similar to the Japanese "kawai." It is certainly cute, but definitely irritating.) I did full 애교 for several minutes: "Oh, studentssssssss. Please opeennnnnn your boookkkks!!" It was bizarre. The kids laughed hysterically. I don't know how the whole thing came about, really, but it was super-effective. The rest of the lesson was a dream.

1 comment: