Monday, April 8, 2013

Refusal

I have had a little bit to drink. It started out innocently enough, grabbing a drink after a workout. But the stress of tomorrow's news led to that drink becoming two, and then some dinner, and then some dancing, and singing in the streets. Budapest, szeretlek. Mindig azt adsz, amire van szükségem. Annyira fogsz hiányozni.

Several months ago, something was asked of me. I stared, mouth hanging open yet unable to find any air, at the phone in my hand. The request was repeated. It became a demand, shouted and shouted again. The demon on the other end of the line reached its inky hand through my phone and crushed my heart. Then, as this particular demon is wont to do, it left.

I keep seeing it, though. I keep hearing its voice in my dreams. I've met it so many times, and every time I've been able to forget it. This time, though, I can't. It whispers to me while I sit at the bus stop. It winks at me, shimmering in the reflection of a puddle. The demon gave me a time limit. I hope when that time limit has passed, and it sees that I continue to refuse, it will leave me alone. Because I do refuse. I refuse to do what it asked of me. And if that makes me rotten inside, then I don't care.

No comments:

Post a Comment