Thursday, March 20, 2014

Hitting me Harder than I Expected

My Dexter has passed away. I found out in public and managed to mostly hold it together, but then when I got home I found myself rather unable to cry. Now I feel it lurking behind my eyes, just waiting for someone to hug me or pat me sympathetically, and I'll lose it. As a result, I'm avoiding eye contact with those around me.

I suppose it's pretty silly to cry over an animal that most of the world considers to be a pest, but these little fluffies always manage to worm their way right into my heart.

Once I had the boys out on my bed and accidentally left the door open while I went to fix dinner. I heard a meow and ran to my bedroom, where Mandula was laying on her back while Smokey pulled fluff from her belly. Dexter was nowhere to be found, and I panicked, thinking that maybe he had been eaten. But there was no sign of a struggle, so I started to search for him. He was nowhere to be found. An hour or so later, he came strolling out of my pillow, where he had stretched himself thin between the pillow and the seam of the case, hiding so perfectly I didn't even notice him when I lifted the pillow to look underneath.

He was a survivor, my Dexter. I'll make a proper photo memorial soon. I just can't bear to do it now. Rest in peace, my little friend. I'm glad you're back together with your brother.


No comments:

Post a Comment